Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Buddha Granted Me Fame, Fortune TBD

It feels great to be a Champion! Now I am referring to the fact that MY TEAM, the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl. It was such an invigorating feeling but I must say, it was a lonely feeling, too. I watched it by myself on a Monday morning. With each "belt worthy" play, I was forced to air high-five myself. When WE won, the day went on, school wasn't canceled, and I didn't get to relive the big game through countless replays and endless "The Packers are Great" analysis.

These are the sacrifices I make for the poor.

I took my boundless jubilation to Indonesia where my work will keep me for the next month.

The week once again was comprised of meetings and hours upon hours stuck in traffic. Wrapping up the week and planning for the next, I decided to take advantage of my weekend to visit the largest Buddhist temple in the world, Borobudur.


It is a massive site; the photo does not do it justice. As I approached the temple with great humility, I was bombarded by local youth, clamoring for my autograph. Did they know WE had just won the Super Bowl? Did this blog become world renown? Or was it my sweet beard and my new Bangladeshi threads that led them to believe I was something special?

They wanted, no, needed to know everything about me. Their English wasn't the best, but they were trying. How long had I been there, where was I from, what was my name? "Please sign this Mister. Can we take a picture?" Fame can be tedious.

After the 20th autograph and answering the same 3 questions, I looked up to see, what I presumed to be the local English teacher, smiling to thank me for my patience.


The next morning was an opportunity to experience the sunrise at
Borobudur. It seemed fitting to experience Buddha in the early morning, minus my adoring fans. I think that is the way He would have wanted it.

Steve

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Borobudur, Indonesia

4 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Do you think He is a fan of the Pack Attack too? Much love to you my old friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the Broncs Super Bowl win down in Chile - for some reason the people in Punta Arenas weren't as excited as I was for some odd reason. I did, however spot a man in a leather Broncos jacket the following day, and that brought a swell of the emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm your biggest fan....behind Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOURPORE ...with RICK the PRICK.
    Next time you set up guns and missiles and kid- fucking submarines try not to be so " CONSPICUOUS "?
    Yeah...HIGHWAY- 61?
    You know that's DYLAN- TORONTO- LOUISIANA?
    So like a pedophile...and a Q- COW in DERY to MILK IT!
    MILK THAT MOTHERFUCKER- ASSHOLES!
    Do the SUCCOR!
    Do the ANNESS!
    Do the REAREN- REARUSN- RENCO- RENESS- ANHUS- DODONGO!
    Do the DODONGO- with DONNE COSEY in COMSTUL up to his ASS with MEESE!
    COMIESSE!
    COMIA!
    With PIA- and PIANOS!
    " Highway 61 "?
    Better think twice, next time around.
    OK?
    You got that?
    You got that?
    You got that?

    ReplyDelete