Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A long travel day: Patience tried and failed

The streaming sounds of horns honking is soothing especially now that I have a clean set of clothes. I am now in Dhaka, Bangladesh where I will be for the next few days meeting with Grameen Trust and BRAC.


These are two of the World's leading institutions creating solutions to end poverty.


Grameen Bank's and Dr. Yunus's Nobel Peace Prize




To paint a picture, (see photos if you don't like to read) Bangladesh is the size of Wisconsin but has over 150 Million people with 81%(proof) living on less than $2 per day.




The streets are filled with people, cars, motorcycles, tuc tucs, human powered rickshaws, buses, and plenty of dust. Dhaka is a mass of concrete as far as the eye can see and the eye can't see very far with the cloud of dust and smog that blankets the city.

Getting here was a true test of my patience which at times I failed, actually just once. Three flights and on two different airlines complicated the situation. My travel agent was able to get me a steal of a deal on some Bangladeshi airline but the catch was I had to buy at the airport (cash only, what?) I would have a few hours to kill before the flight boarded at 1am.

When the airline counter opened, I scurried my way to the front of the line head of a sea of people mounting with what appeared to be all of their worldly possessions. When I arrived to the counter I explained that I would need to purchase a ticket. This was met with confusion, not a good sign. He confirmed with his manager and came back to explain that I was out of luck. The agents couldn't accept payment which was exactly what I was told to do.

"What do you mean you can't sell me a ticket?" I was thoroughly confused and was certain they would let me on the flight. This banter went on for a few minutes when I finally asked to speak with his manager. At this point, I still was not angry because it was only logical that we would find a solution. they have seats and I have money.

Once the manager, Shokat arrived, I was certain we were in the clear. I presented my reservation number and explained calmly that I needed to purchase the ticket. He immediately restated the absurd. "We cannot sell you a ticket."

Panic struck, I was going to be stuck in this airport. Patience packed her bags and left, I was on my own.

I tried to rectify the situation elevating my voice and throwing in a few demonstrative gestures. Shokat (I only remember his name because I wrote it down along with his number 3 times in an attempt to strike fear into his heart) was adamant that there was nothing he could do and I had to call my travel agent. At this point it was midnight on Sunday.

I accepted defeat by the hands of Mr. Shokat but only for now. I ran to another airline. The ticket agent confused as well, directed me to their office. There I asked a man from another airline for some help. I explained the situation (Patience had returned; she needed to freshen up) and he made a call to someone at the Bangladeshi airline.

I was told to go speak with Shokat.

Somehow Mr. Shokat had come around to the idea of letting me on the plane. Why, no one knows but I have learned not to question the Universe. I apologized to him for Patience's absence.

One I arrived to Bangladesh, 4am now, I went to collect my bag. Gone. At this point Patience was by my side and said everything would be alright.

One breath followed by another, I finally arrived to the hotel ready for some sleep. The rock hard bed and the steady buzz of traffic and horns outside were no match for my exhaustion.

The first order of business when I woke was to find a toothbrush and toothpaste. A convenience store was located next to the hotel. I picked out the cheapest toothbrush and toothpaste I could find.

The total, exactly 61 Taka (no joke). At that moment a calm washed over me letting me know I was exactly where I was supposed to be.

My bag arrived the next day.

Peace and Love,
Steve

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Dhaka, Bangladesh

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud that your first purchase was a tooth brush and tooth paste not a big cocktail. Your parents trained you well. ;)

    ReplyDelete